Thursday, June 11, 2015

Words of Wisdom from a LEAD Mentee

“There are times when you may want to quit, but if you just push a little longer, you will see why you never gave up in the first place.” –Kira Brewington

                In college, there are many students who are embarrassed to admit that there are times that they want to give up and quit. They may have either been told some misleading information or have heard they hear others speak on what they do not know. I wish I would have known what I know today in those difficult times or else I would have pushed myself a little harder. I was told by an advisor, that I would never make a G.P.A over a 2.0 by the time I graduate. Yet here I am now, close to a 3.0 with a year left to graduate! I listened to people telling me to “do this” and “do that” because I was afraid to make decisions for myself. It was not until a peer mentor told me that he had been through a similar situation and he proved the naysayers wrong, that I was able to get the right advice and motivation I needed. So here I am, reaching out to those students who may be discouraged or mislead. Listen to this message: “Hold on a little longer” because the light really is at the end of your tunnel!

Here are some myths that you may have heard or even tell yourself:

"I give up, enough already with the studying."
"I need a break or my head will explode!"
"It's better to drop a course, rather than to risk a low grade."
"I just can't make it!"
"There’s no way I'm going to pass this class."
"It is no way this hard professor will pass me."
"I'm just not as smart as the others."
"I’ll never understand this material"
“C’s do not get degrees!”
“I will never graduate with the class I came in with”

But in reality:
                Make Dropping a Course Your LAST Resort
If you are thinking about giving up, DON’T! If you've done your best, and I mean your ABSOLUTE best, and you have shown the professor you care, then you WILL make it through! I constantly hear of students wanting to drop courses for various reasons: fear, self-doubt, lack of focus, laziness, poor scheduling, and poor prioritizing. Please also understand that "C’s can get degrees!" Do not be discouraged by a "C" on your transcript! Just as though they can happen, they can be replaced. You can retake the course or try raising your GPA with other courses as well! A little of something is always better than nothing. Study harder the next time, focus more, and you will succeed!

Believe In Yourself
Believe in yourself. A professor once told me that most of life's successes depend on self-confidence. You must change the way you think so that you can change your actions! If you think you can, you can! Think about all the accomplishments that you once doubted before but you stuck with it and overcame it! I have learned that changing your thoughts to positive thinking will help you a whole bunch with your successes now and even in the future. I wake up every morning and say, “Kira, you are no different than the rest, you can accomplish anything you put your mind to,” and that honestly keeps me going.

Do Not Be Afraid To Meet With Your Professor
I wish I could have had someone tell me this one! Maybe I could have avoided a few of those C’s. I was always afraid to talk to my professor because I thought they were too busy or just didn't want to be bothered with me. However, most professors encourage you to go to their office if you have any trouble! You have to understand that they are humans too! They have been in college and have done poorly in classes, experimented with life, and been in exactly the same position you're in now. Talk to them! Get their advice about whether it's wise for you to drop the course or not. Mostly, from my experience, I think they'll tell you to hang in there. Listen to them. Also do not assume anything. Maybe you can ask for extra credit assignments! Sometimes you think, "What's the use? I'm already failing." Maybe, maybe not. Meet with the professor as soon as possible and ask how well you're doing. They just want to know that you are trying and will do whatever it takes to succeed! They want you to pass just as much as you want to but you have to do the work and do your best! You may be shocked to find out that you're doing about the same as others in the class.

Hang In There
Hanging in there is one of life's great lessons. There are a lot of occurrences in life and you will not want to quit early on, thinking, "I'll never get through this." I was told to learn to face the "self-doubt bogeyman" now because he will never go away without fortitude. It is not always about graduating with the class you came in with, this is not a race! Set and go at your own pace because life will get real and you want to be 100% prepared. It is not about how long it took for you to finish! To me, it’s about how strong you finished! Remember everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s just not the end!

Sincerely,



Kira Brewington,

LEAD Mentee

Team Work Makes the Dream Work

Sincerely,
Your Speech and Hearing Family

No comments:

Post a Comment